Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Why be an apprentice? By Kate




I love camp horizons, and being an apprentice makes my experience even better.  The reason why I love being an apprentice is because this position gives me more independence than what I used to get as a camper.  The apprentice program lets me do what I do best which is helping people.  I get to be an assistant at programs and that means that I am the person that the program counselors depend on to give extra help to campers.  I love helping campers with things that they cannot do by themselves.  Being a camper was not for me, I enjoy my apprentice schedule way more because even though I love my job coaches, I enjoy being able to move from activity to activity without a counselor constantly with me.  Being an apprentice helps me meet new people.  Doing all of these different jobs with my coaches, fellow apprentices, and program counselors helps me be better prepared for my job when I get back home.
I also like to just hang out with my job coaches and friends.  I like sitting on the veranda before a meal or during free time with Andy and Jesse, some of our job coaches, as well as my friends in the apprentice program. I also love talking late into the night or waking up early with Emily and Lauren, our other job coaches, and going to do coffee service and talk about the day.  
Be an apprentice because this job takes a lot of hard work but it is also very fun.  
-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment